Monday, April 5, 2010

Artist Statement for myself

A reminder of past work:
Kim Kardashian Superbowl piece, The adult superstore text pieces, the TTV piece, documenting my route out of the city (at my father's request), composites of appropriated 50's housewives with imagery portraying the role of women today(a re-do), piece about Walgreens decision to remove the Obama Chia pet from shelves, archiving my grandmothers dresses.




I am interested in the fear of losing the past. A loss of created by mass media, and the seemingly "dumbed-down" pop-culture references that are often presented to us. I examine the public versus private, the appropriate versus unsuitable as well as their effect on today's society. Through documentation of the mass produced billboards for adult superstores along the I-94 corridor from Michigan into Chicago or the announcement of a possible engagement to Kim Kardashian by Reggie Bush before the 2010 Superbowl, I am interested in presenting these ideas alongside thoughts and feelings of an older, smaller way of living. By using a contemporary digital SLR and photographing through an old twin lens camera given to me by my grandmother I present the viewer with a new way of viewing an old system. A nostalgic way of breathing new life into the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment