Friday, February 12, 2010

Sarcasm

We briefly talked about sarcasm in response to Billy's passive aggressive piece and I think that it was mentioned that sarcasm is a relatively new way of communicating or interacting with one another.  Correct me if I remembered that conversation wrong. Anyway, sarcasm dates back to ancient Greece. And I found this article that I think also speaks to passive aggressive behavior.  Passive aggressive behavior is a social calculation as well but more often an unconscious one.  

Quote from the article posted:
"Evolutionary biologists claim that sociality is what has made humans such a successful species. We are masters at what anthropologists and others call "social intelligence." We recognize and keep track of hundreds of relationships, and we easily distinguish between enemies and friends.  More important, we run our lives by social calculation."



1 comment: